Palmer J Parker offers immodest proposals regarding the education of a new professional:
- We must help our students debunk the myth that institutions possess autonomous, even ultimate, power over our lives.
- We must validate the importance of our students’ emotions as well as their intellect.
- We must teach our students how to “mine” their emotions for knowledge.
- We must teach them how to cultivate a community for the sake of both knowing and doing.
- We must teach—and model for—our students what it means to be on the journey toward “an undivided life.” I want to examine this one by one.